Kanal's Bridge

Kanal's Bridge, which was at first made of wood, was built in 1580. Throughout the history, it has been demolished and reconstructed many times. The French, advancing towards Austria, destroyed it for the first time. Of course, the bridge was reconstructed and then, after the French left, it was destroyed again. Thanks to Valentin Stanič (a Priest, Mountaineer, Doctor, Typographer and the Founder of the school in the village of Banjščice), the bridge was reconstructed again in 1816. After that, the war settled the fate of the bridge. On 25th May 1915, the bridge was blown up, while in 1920, it was reconstructed again, and this bridge has been preserved up to this day. The bridge was spared from destruction in the Second World War.

Kanal’s Bridge is certainly the representative symbol of the town of Kanal, as well as a place that is worth seeing. It arouses the attention of many artists and visitors from far and wide. The scenery of the place with its wonderful bridge is represented in many paintings. The bridge, in fact, is the place that attract visitors' attention, for several summertime traditional events, such as the popular diving from the bridge.

Kanal ob Soči (8 of 8) Kanal 150 let NK (36 of 129) 66508235_1362093297289973_6658430199182393344_oFoto: Primož Kožuh

 

 

 

 

 

 

Take a look at a panorama of the surroundings.